The Hare and Hounds pub at Luzley is a favourite place for those wanting to go to "a pub in the country" without having to go too far! The Hare and Hound is situated on the old road between Ashton and Mossley, with views across open fields opposite towards the heather moorland above Stalybridge.
The pub has been there since at least 1755, at which time it was called the King George. Six years later the name was changed to the King's Head.
In 1810 the pub became known as the Hare and Hounds, which it has been ever since, except for a few years in the 1850s when it was known as the Hunters Tavern. The pub had connections with the Ashton Hunt, with Ben Greenwood, one of the huntsmen, being the landlord for a number of years, which is probably the origin of the names "Hare and Hounds" and "Hunters Tavern".
Lone leaf sinking ship #citydailyphoto - On the River Weaver by the ever sinking boat. the last leaves cling on...
7 hours ago