"Y" is for "Ye Olde Vaults" and today's photo shows a pub in Ashton town centre that once bore that name. It is situated on Old Street which was the original road from Manchester running through the town.
The first written records of a pub on this site are from 1808 when it was known as Heap's Vaults and Robert Heap was granted a full licence for the premises. However, it is thought to have existed, perhaps as a beer house, from around 1791. The pub seems to have been rebuilt or substantially altered in 1860, as shown by the date stone above the ground floor windows. The Heap family ran the pub for 109 years until 1900, when Walter Newton took over and changed the name to Ye Olde Vaults. (Some sources say "Ye Old Vaults" but in old photographs the sign shows the word "Olde".)
In recent years the pub has been re-named again to "Chambers" and the board outside advertised "Good cheap beer all year. Thursdays all drinks £2, Doubles add £1, 7pm - close." However, when this photo was taken, the pub was "between landlords".
Just below the roof, flaking black paint reveals that the brewery Tetley Walker were at one time the owners.
(Click photo for larger version. Press Back button to return here.)
See Birds Eye View of this location. See Google Street View of this location before the replica was sited here.
"Ye Olde Vaults" is a contribution to ABC Wednesday. For more "Y" posts from around the world please follow this link.
Please leave a comment below.