P h o t o B l o g

Monday 19 September 2011

Bowling Green


Today's photo from the world of Ashton under Lyne shows the Bowling Green at the bottom of Penny Meadow.

If you were expecting to see a bowling green like this one in Stamford Park or this one at King George's Playing Fields, then I am sorry to disappoint you. This particular Bowling Green is a pub in the centre of Ashton, close to the Market Hall. It stands on the corner of Penny Meadow and Market Street.

It is one of Ashton's oldest pubs, dating from at least 1792. Like many of Ashton's pubs, it has had a few changes of name. It was originally the Hare and Hounds, then the Bridge End, although there is no bridge nearby. By 1803 it had become the Bowling Green, a name it has kept ever since. Oddly, I can find no evidence that there was ever a bowling green here although it is possible that one existed in 1803 before the Penny Meadow area was built up.

As well as having had several changes of name, while the pub has remained in the same spot for 220 years, it has had several changes of address in that time - Marland Square, The Pingot, Cowhill Lane, Katherine Street and, finally, Penny Meadow.

See Google Street View of this location.

(Click photo for larger version. Press Back button to return here.)

"Bowling Green" is my contribution to this week's "My World" feature. Please check out the other blogs participating in this week's My World.

5 comments:

  1. I was disappointed as I am a lawn and short mat bowler! The pub appears to have had an interesting history and bit of mystery regards its name changes.

    You can still post this as 'My World' is now continuing as: http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link Jackie. I have missed a few weeks so didn't know what was going on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to see your photo, then see the area on Google Street View. I found our house on there a couple of weeks ago, and fooled around until I could see our back yard, hoping the dog would be there. I don't know where the dog was, but I saw myself, in my pyjamas, probably calling the dog.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all those changes of name and address, it is nice to still see the same pub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a boy (more years ago than I care to think about) I was travelling up Penny Meadow on a bus when I saw a naked lady running on the pavement past The Bowing Green pub towards Ashton market. I have often wondered what the story behind that enlightening incident might be. Had she been caught flagrant delecto by her husband? Alas I shall never know.

    ReplyDelete

If you are not able to sign in with a Blogger/Google etc account, then please click on "Name/URL" and type in your name or nickname.

If you have no URL you can leave that part blank.

Please do not post as "Anonymous".

If you are a spammer, please note: Most spam messages are filtered out automatically. The few that get through are deleted. Please don't bother.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Add to Technorati Favorites