The barracks opened here in 1843, having previously occupied a site on Crickets Lane. At that time there was quite a bit of civil unrest when it was felt better to move the soldiers away from the town.
The barracks were renamed Ladysmith Barracks to commemorate the part the Manchester Regiment played in the Siege of Ladysmith in the Boer War.
The barracks closed in 1963 but the splendid gateway, with the golden lettering above the arch spelling out "Ladysmith Barracks", is all that now remains. The name "Ladysmith" is also used by a pub and a shopping centre in the town.
See Google Street View of this location.