The Angel Hotel is one of the oldest pubs in Ashton, having held a licence since 1762. The original building was nearby in Court House Yard, but was rebuilt in 1868 here on the corner of Old Street and St Michael's Square. This was the original centre of Ashton, with the pub facing the old market cross. The outside of the building is decorated with a tile mosaic, slightly marred by electrical and plumbing alterations.
Originally situated nearby in Court House Yard, the Angel was rebuilt about 1858 on its present site. It was badly damaged by a gas explosion in 1874 and reduced from three storeys to two. The ground floor has a most attractive mosaic tiled frontage. The Angel has the distinction of having the longest list of traceable landlords for an Ashton Public House – 68 up to 1988.
Lone leaf sinking ship #citydailyphoto - On the River Weaver by the ever sinking boat. the last leaves cling on...
3 hours ago