Today's photo shows the Junction Inn on Mossley Road at Hazelhurst.
There have been three Junction Inns in Ashton - this one, the one on Turner Lane and one on Portland Street whose site is now part of the Ashton Bypass.
The Junction at Hazelhurst dates from 1835. In 1861 the landlord was charged with keeping a disorderly house after a visit by a plain-clothes policeman following complaints of after hours drinking on a Sunday!
The reason for the name of the pub is clear - it stands at the meeting of roads radiating in five directions! The modern A670 Mossley Road was the newer turnpike road, built around the 1830s, cutting across the older route (Old Road, Luzley Lane) at its junction with Gorsey Lane, as can be seen clearly on the Google aerial view.
See Google Aerial View of this location.
See LiveSearch Birds Eye View of this location.
Clarendon Place Fenced Off - With work to demolish the multi-storey car park having started, Clarendon Place is closed to inbound traffic and the road fenced off although pedestrians...
6 hours ago