For our contribution to the Doorways theme day, we visit Stalybridge, two miles down the road from Ashton, to find this doorway with the carved inscription "BOYS".
The explanation is that this was originally a school - Waterloo Road School (but not the one in the recent TV series!). Opened in 1910, it clearly started life as a mixed-sex school. This doorway, on the east side of the building, was where the boys entered the building, whereas the girls would enter by the door on the west side, which has a corresponding inscription saying "GIRLS".
Later on, the school became Waterloo Road Girls' School, so the girls would have had to use both entrances!
When Copley High School was built a mile or so away, Waterloo Road school closed and became a Teachers' Education Resources Centre.
The building now houses local offices for Tameside Council, along with the local Police Station. This side door is now the main entrance to the building.
The building first appeared on this blog in February. It is a handsome building of Accrington Brick with stone banding, with the town's coat of arms above the doorway.
Lots of other blogs are also taking part in the Doorways theme day. Click here to view thumbnails for all participants.
See Google Aerial View of this location.
See Birds Eye View of this location.
Upfest - Upfest Street Art Festival in Ashton this weekend.
5 hours ago