(Click photo for larger version. Press Back button to return here.)
Egret Mill was built on the corner of Old Street and Bentinck Street in Ashton. It was opened in 1823 as Lees Mill, a five-storey spinning mill. It was later bought by the Egret Mill Company, who added weaving sheds to the site.
In 1881 the original spinning mill was destroyed by fire and the weaving sheds were then extended over the site. However, the mill ceased cotton cloth manufacturing in 1887.
The area is being re-developed as part of the St Petersfield scheme and now all that remains of the mill is a small two-bay portion of weaving shed and this building facing onto Old Street, which probably accommodated the mill offices.
See Google Street View of this location.
See Birds Eye View of this location.
"Egret Mill" is a contribution to Monochrome Weekend. Please follow the link to visit other sites taking part.
Under the Bridge - Framing the view under Blackfriars Bridge
13 hours ago