The building originally opened as a pub around 1850 and it is not difficult to see why it was named the Church Inn. It stood just a few yards from St John's Church on Kings Road, or Lower King Street, as it was called at that time.
At least the building survives and has been put to new use, unlike the Miners' Refuge pub almost opposite, which was simply demolished a few years ago.
See Google Street View of this location which at the time of posting, still shows the Church Inn as a pub..
(Click photo for larger version. Press Back button to return here.)