This location will have been very familiar to generations of Ashton's residents, who probably spent quite a lot of time queuing here over the years.
For this is the interior of the former Post Office on Warrington Street, which is currently undergoing a complete renovation. All of the Post Office paraphernalia has been removed and the space will eventually be home to retail units and a coffee bar. The doorway on the right led to one of the porches and entrance doors.
The large object in the foreground on the left is the safe that was once housed in a strong room at the back of the Post Office. The photo below shows where the strong room was. The steel-reinforced walls took 4 days to demolish!
Landmarks: Hyde Grammar School - The building on Clarendon Road cost £12,000 and was opened as the "New County School" on September 17th 1912, by Sir George Dixon, chairman of the County...
56 minutes ago